Dev Blog #27
Dev Blog Summary
a) Game and Web 3 Development
- Number of new features this week including new character collections being added including Kaiju Kingz and Rumble Kongs, vibration effects and multi-kill FX effects
- P2E technical development is still on schedule, starting from the last game build, players are now able to see the test fragments they have earned through participating in matches in their loot page in game. We are a lot closer to P2E going live and the team is very excited about the progress we have been making
- The new cloud server for the NFT images is now live which should make speed up the loading speed of the game significantly
b) Business Development & Marketing
- Project funds which are mostly in stables are held across both centralised platforms as as well as on-chain wallets, even if the bear market continues we will have ample runway to continue executing based on our roadmap and to expand the GFC universe
- Cross-IP tournament and P2E launch originally planned for July will be pushed back with exact date to be decided based on market conditions — it is in the best interest of the project to wait for consumer confidence to stabilise to optimize the chances of kickstarting a positive P2E feedback loop on launch and garnering max exposure on the tournament
- Reminder that P2E is only one feature of the game and should not be the end-all-be-all, bi-weekly tournaments will continue to be hosted with buy-in Battle Royale mode in development
- The GFC team was at NFT.NYC last week and took part in a number of events, most notably our own Yacht party with highlights below:
- So far over 200 hoodies have been ordered and the first 30+ have left the warehouse! We cannot WAIT to see our community rocking these badasses
- Bi-weekly 2ETH Tournament:
- First Bi-Weekly Tournament, USA, East Server and it was epic! Nail biting finals, going the distance with Wholesome Guys yet again, coming through with the win, great job!
- Fast forward to this weekend and we had a rematch of that very final! Second Bi-weekly was played on the Asian Servers.
- Galaxy Community Cup: in-between the bi-weekly tournaments we had a 5th edition of the Galaxy Community Cup, this time it was a 2vs2 tournament. Only Arlen and the Female Human were allowed, carrying nothing but pistols!
A: Game and Web 3 Development
We worked on a number of new features this week:
- New character collections have been integrated (Champ, Kmanu, Kaiju Kingz, Rumble Kongs)
- Add vibration effects to enhance gameplay immersion
- Multiple kills (Double kill, triple kill, …) FX effects, voices will also be added
- New server for NFT images to improve game performance and loading speeds
- Add weapon skin logic (for example the Qualifier Gun Skin is being developed and added in)
WORKING TOWARDS P2E
Task 1: NFT auth API optimized and stress tested for heavy in-game use
- Status: Stress testing via Open Beta
We are doing periodic check ups, and constantly monitoring the performance of the API. No further update on this item.
Task 2: Energy system for each NFT
- Status: Testing via Open Beta
No update on this item.
Task 3: Admin panel to monitor game activity and allow for team to ban players or stop players from earning key fragments
- Status: Live for team
Last week, the idea of “key indicators” was introduced. “key indicators” are a set of 5 data points that our team value the most in the P2E system, and they are:
- Total key-fragments earned per day (Gold and Silver respectively)
- Unique winners per day
- Average key-fragments earned per player per day
- Top 10 Most fragments-earned players
- Game victories per key-fragments earned
These are indicators that can show us P2E activities and can help us balance the energy system as well as the drop rate for fragments which helps with Task 2.
There was a first iteration of this feature that went live mid-week last week, and another iteration coming before mid-week next week.
Task 4: Dashboard for key-fragments and keys (a.k.a. P2E rewards page)
- ETA: 30th of June
Testing has been going well for the fragment and fragment-mint contracts. The key and key-smith contract have been deployed to test-net and testing is in progress as well.
There are also on-going visual updates done to the dashboard for key-fragments and keys claiming. We are expecting to have this dashboard complete at the current ETA, note that the page will only be made public when P2E is ready to go live.
Task 5: New loot box contract for key fragments
- Status: Live
The new loot box contract went live shortly after the last bi-weekly update and we are happy to say that we are one big step closer to P2E going live.
This new contract utilizes an updated version of Chainlink VRF which is the VRF v2 and it has the benefit of better callback gas control, easier to manage for subscription owners and multiple random numbers from a single request. Upgrading to v2 brings us a lot of benefits and it will most certainly provide a better experience for our community who are going to participate in P2E.
Task 6: New forging contract to allow for non-genesis weapons
- Status: final touches and deployment
- ETA: 24th of June -> 30th of June
The new loot box contract was reviewed and tested last week, and we are aiming to have the contract deployed as well as having the frontend updated to be interacting with the new contract within the next couple of days.
Again, since the P2E keys and the P2E weapons are not available to the public yet, our players will not immediately notice/benefit from these updates, but these are put in place for smoother transition when P2E is ready to go live.
Task 7: Allow Gen 2 training contract to take in non-genesis weapons
- ETA: 17th of June -> 7th of July
The algorithm behind Gen 2 training have been updated to made compatible with the new P2E weapons, Dave and the team are reviewing the logic and doing some testing on the outcome aiming to strike a balance between encouraging P2E players to train Gen 2 while not disappointing players who have already trained or planning to train Gen 2 with Genesis Weapons.
This process will take another couple of days to complete, and we aim to have the algorithm ready in the next week or so.
Task 8: Non-genesis weapon in game
- ETA: 24th of June -> 7th of July
We are planning to have non-genesis weapons minted in the team’s account and tested in game starting this week. Stats for non-genesis weapons (a.k.a. P2E weapons) are not finalized yet, the testing team will be helping us with play throughs and strength tests to balance them out.
Task 9: Game build with rewards in place
- ETA: 15th of July
As some of our active players might have already noticed, starting from the last game build, players are now able to see the fragments they have earned through participating in matches in their loot page in game. Please note that these are not P2E rewards that are going to be claimable as NFTs, these are test items that we have implemented as part of the iteration process towards P2E.
We are a lot closer to P2E going live and the team is very excited about the progress we have been making.
Other Ongoing Tasks
Couple weeks ago, We mentioned that we have gathered 60+ GB of metadata and images from our partnering project. We are now hosting them on our cloud server and this is going to be speeding up the loading time. These images and metadata are used as part of the NFT auth API to load the player’s inventory for their playable characters. It is a critical part of the login flow and we are happy to say that we nailed it down got improved the feature overall.
B: Business Development & Marketing
TOURNAMENT & P2E DELAY
Cross-IP tournament and P2E launch originally planned for July will be pushed back with exact date to be decided based on market conditions — it is in the best interest of the project to wait for consumer confidence to stabilise to optimize the chances of kickstarting a positive P2E feedback loop on launch and garnering max exposure on the tournament.
The tournament and P2E release are linked, the tournament is meant to bring more exposure to the P2E launch. Delaying the tournament means delaying the P2E launch unless we separate the two, but in our opinion that would be wasting the exposure we get from the tournament. What we are looking at more than market conditions are actually two things:
- Traffic/engagement on Twitter (for the whole space)
- Consumer confidence
Both of which are at all time lows. We aren’t waiting for a bull market to return, we are waiting for things to stabilise and for those two metrics to improve first. Launching into the market with these 2 metrics suffering so badly is a mistake, we rely on high traffic/engagement to onboard players and we rely on consumer confidence even more to generate enough demand to prop up the P2E ecosystem.
BYOpills, Battle Royale mode, armour etc are all things that can be and will be worked on until we believe those two metrics have improved to a point where we can launch tournament and P2E.
From a technical perspective P2E is ready to launch on schedule (mid July), on the other hand we will be working on getting engagement up in the run-up to P2E. There are three things we will be focusing on to do this:
- Improve onboarding generally
- Improve onboarding for specific projects by running project specific qualifiers in run up to the tournament and
- Waiting for overall engagement in the space to improve
We will continue to work on 1 and 2 to improve engagement in the micro while we wait for the macro engagement in point 3 to improve. An example of what we are doing to improve onboarding more generally are education tweets like the one here:
During the last two weeks, we have been preparing for the week at NFT.NYC with several activations that Galaxy Fight Club has sponsored with its various partners during this time in New York.
From visiting our partner’s over at VaynerSports at their activation Monday Night , we got to discuss the endless opportunities both platforms have together as Galaxy Fight Club expands its universe with the many athletes that are looking to get a piece of the action.
Big shout out to AJ Vaynerchuck and Brycent!
The following day the team headed over to the convention with Polygon Studios with an on-site activation showcasing Galaxy Fight Club to all those that were attending the biggest convention of the year. We got to show many event go-ers what we were building and really caught the attention of those not active in the GameFi space. They couldn’t believe we have only been in development for less than a year.
As we finished our pop-off with Polygon Studios , the team had our main event — the yacht party. With all our major partners from Sup Ducks , Bullieverse, Alpacadabraz, Furballs, Unstoppable Domains and our favorite DJ Tropix.
Lastly, to close things off, big shout out to the Rumble Kong League for inviting us to their private event — they definitely had one of the best and intimate events of the week. Soon after we headed off to our co-sponsored event with Magic Eden and a space on the boat with Champs Only.
Shout out to all the people we met during this trip from DeadHeads, JRNY, Bitboy Crypto, Propertys, CyberKongz, MoonPay, Sandbox and many more, some of which we are now talking to about potential collaboration.
Tournaments and tournaments and tournaments!!
But first … more hoodie news! So far over 200 hoodies have been ordered and the first 30+ have left the warehouse! We cannot WAIT to see our community rocking these badasses !
And back to the tournaments! Free ETH, that is basically what it is! We just concluded our second bi-weekly tournament this weekend and have handed out a total 4 ETH this month in doing so. Add to that the little extras for the Galaxy Community Cup and the Prediction winners and it is safe to say we are giving back to the community more than ever now!
Prediction we hear you say? That is right! Before the start of every tournament, you will be able to fill out the bracket the way you think it will plan out! The person with the highest score will win a prize. (eg. prediction winner for the Arlen tournament won … an Arlen NFT!) So there you have it! Even if you are not playing yourself there is still ways for you to get and be involved!
Back to the tournament action! First Bi-Weekly Tournament, USA, East Server and it was epic! Nail biting finals, going the distance with Wholesome Guys yet again, coming through with the win, great job!
Fast forward to this weekend and we had a rematch of that very final! Second Bi-weekly was played on the Asian Servers.
However, anyone who was expecting or even hoping for a similar close final was very much mistaken!
TeamPlaySafe absolutely dominated in every game from start to finish! Winning it all with a 4–0 sweep, rather unexpectedly but utmost deserved!!!
In between we had a 5th edition of the Galaxy Community Cup, this time it was a 2vs2 tournament. Only Arlen and the Female Human were allowed, carrying nothing but pistols!
Teologo were the more surprising winners and in the Grand Final (Best of 3 in a 1vs1) qz#1853 beat their team mate rett#6290 to walk away with a Battle Pass!!
More tournaments coming very soon so keep checking Discord!